Monday, March 31, 2008

Raw, and wrigglin'





My first visit to an acupuncturist was a success. At least I think it was. It's a little hard to tell. I didn't feel magically transformed, neither able to leap tall buildings or touch my toes. But I certainly didn't feel worse. There was surprisingly little pain associated with eight tiny needles taking turns in my wrists, ankles, shins and back. In fact, it felt calming. Maybe my energy flow opened up and began to churn. Maybe I was reluctant to move while Rick, the acupuncturist, tried to jump-start my energy flow.

As you may recall, this all came about after I spent a weekend laying on the floor commiserating with peas and rice and a worn out hip that spread its evil ways to my lower back. I've been recovering slowly, walking not running. All this no exercise and too much food has left me feeling pretty raw of late.

After Rick finished his pricking, he gave me a 30-minute shiatsu massage. When it was all done, my head and neck felt lighter like he said it would. My hip still felt sore, like he said it would. He also took my pulse one last time and asked if I'd been eating too many sweets lately. Yes, but wouldn't you if you couldn't run around like always? Logic, never one of my strongest suits.

Rick told me to keep walking, keep stretching, and come back to see him in a few weeks. So I wandered around his neighborhood, Jiyugaoka, a tic-tac-toe board of shops, restaurants and coffee shops. I stopped for some tea and thought about lunch. What would suit a first-time needling?

Eel, I decided, and soba. Long, limber and soothing, grilled unagi is a rich, tender and buttery fish usually served on top of a tendonburi, or rice bowl. It's fresh-water eel, caught in the wild, and usually eaten in the summertime to provide stamina against the heat. Saturday was pleasant, in the low 60s, but I decided to rush summer with unagi and honor the last chill of winter with some hot soba. This, I have no doubt, was both relaxing and healing.

No comments: